You might think you are young and strong it will not effect on you, but I think if you live in Europe or in America now it is time to stay home (if you can). Before you read, you ought to know that I am not a virologist, neither working in healthcare just an economist, who works as a Hotel Concierge. Since January it is our everyday life: meeting, smiling and greeting people from all over the World, while we are so anxious and worry about our health and work. We must not wear gloves, neither masks, write or post about it…
So what you can do?
- Please follow the suggestions of WHO and your own government!
- Take care of your personal hygienic
- Do not understate or joke on other people’s fear.
- If you are the one of those lucky ones, try to work from home. Even if I used to work from home last year a lot, now we cannot. In the last year in tourism we had lack of employees, so we tried to focus on the in-house guests and the last minute email requests, so I had to take home the rest and answer them during my free time, now we do not have anything to do…
- Avoid contact with other people as much as you can, only go to grocery if it is really needed, do not use public transportation.
- Help the elders around you, but in the meanwhile try to contact them less.
- Try to consume less.
- Plan your life at home- you have plenty of to do…
- To save millions of jobs and the economy, please do not cancel, rather postpone, modify or accept gift cards for your future holidays.
- Try to think of yourself, your lifestyle and change. You might be going to be a better person when it ends.
Yeah we are again in a big crisis: in the end of the 2000s we had a similar issue that no one had the money to travel, then everything changed even people, who have never ever been a part of the global tourism started to travel and without experiences they had totally changed this industry. Their style and demand was totally different which we used to had, so we have adapted. We have adapted to a strange, self-focused world, where people (especially younger generations) did not evaluate others, where most of people wanted everything (nearly) free and went through on everyone else to aim their goals without thinking the emotional part.
So what I really want to ask:
Learn to appreciate the luxury of personal services. We are not human robots, also human beings, try to complaint less for trifles. Learn to smile, be kind and say thank you for a shop assistant, waiters, call centres etc.
Discover you close family: talk, play games and if you have kids study together.
In the future think before you write review, it might hurt someone and they would had been solve it without the public. Do you leave a negative review, just because you wish to kicks? Let me explain what I mean: most of the service related negative comments are coming from offended humans, who do not write the whole story. This is an example: he was smoking in the room, while the hotel is strictly non-smoking and had several alarms from the room, so firstly he got a message „please avoid smoking in the room, next time we will charge 250 EUR penalty” next time reception calls him, he did not understand, furthermore he menaces the receptionist. At check-out he has to pay, of course he complaint, manager agree with the staff, he pas the penalty. Next morning, he writes on TripAdvisor saying the staff and the manager was rude, unprofessional and overcharged me…
Restudy skills: reading to the able to understand the terms and conditions, some finance: what is an authorization, what is advanced purchase etc. But you can study new things as well, learn languages or just read anything, handwork or just follow my cleaning routine.
For „influencers” please do not ask for free stays, you are totally degrading the service of other people. You might do not understand it, but I have never ever meet any influencer paying for an extra service of the hotel, where they stay for free: upgrade, extra meal or concierge services, but you do constantly asking for the Marketing Managers, who will ask the rest of the staff do the things for free: no commissions, no service charge and of course no tip. I know you do not understand what I mean, because you think you know everything from Google, you do not have the social background to know who is who in a hotel, that is why you do not even know that the real influencers just the locals right behind the desks, who suggests the personalised restaurants and programs for the tourists.
I do pray for a better World and so thankful for anyone works in healthcare or police nowadays. I wish I could say at home for a few weeks too.